You have an idea to create an exciting startup, but you don’t know where to start. You want to hire people to implement your plan in the best possible way. In this article, we will discuss how to find developers for a startup and enjoy the collaboration. Here is our checklist.
5 Principles of Effective Hiring
1. Look for talented professionals
To create an inspiring atmosphere, you need to surround yourself with people who can share their talent, knowledge and experience.
2. A good resume is not enough
A resume allows you to get a brief idea of what a specialist is. Even a perfectly written resume will not replace personal acquaintance with the candidate, his/her reaction to questions and tasks. This way, you can weed out candidates who present themselves in the best possible light from those who truly shine in any setting.
3. Formulate precise requirements for candidates and do not settle for less
- Inform applicants in advance what tasks they will be working on. For an interview, you can recall a real problem with your company and ask the candidate to come up with possible solutions. This will help evaluate the way of thinking and experience in problem-solving.
- For example, some excellent engineers may have trouble communicating with the team. It is best to avoid a situation where your project suffers from a lack of communication because programmers or software engineers cannot properly describe the problem of a project.
- There is no better way to check a candidate’s technical skills than by giving a test task. Testing provides a clear indication of their skill level and potential.
4. Evaluate the attractiveness of your offer on the vacancy market
Due to the high demand for programmers, make sure your package can attract talented people (don’t forget about perks!).
5. Be open and flexible
Developers are often aware of the latest market trends and can suggest innovative ways to optimize business. Don’t give up on change because innovation can improve company productivity.
Hopefully, these principles will help you find the right specialist. In the next part, we discuss three steps you need to take to hire a new employee.
3 Steps of Recruitment
1. Where to look?
There are different methods for finding personnel, for example, job boards, professional communities and social networks, the freelance market, hackathons and conferences.
You can also contact Cuspy team that will help you scale your company. We provide a complete set of talented architects, developers, programmers, software engineers and testers for your project. A bonus is that the members of this professionals team are experts in new technologies, giving your project a competitive edge.
2. How to evaluate a candidate?
- invite experts to assess the applicant
- give a test task
- conduct an interview
3. What to do during the interview?
Prepare a thoughtful list of questions for the candidate. Follow the company’s corporate culture when conducting interviews. Assess how much this particular person can fit into it. The alignment of values and mindsets helps your business grow confidently.
Check the candidate’s soft and hard skills.
- Communication skills. To effectively implement a project, all team members must be able to convey information accurately.
- Cultural fit. The new employee must embrace the values of the company and support your vision for its development.
- Experience. A person with experience will quickly join your startup, but he/she will also cost you more.
- Technical skills. Coders must be proficient in the required programming languages, tools and technologies to do their job in the best possible way.
Hopefully, our guide will help you to find a programmer for your startup. Stay tuned for new posts!