This article is for entrepreneurs who sell through the Internet. It will help you to determine the effectiveness of your selling text. The fact is that not every selling text works as well as a copywriter promises.
Why does the author fail to feel falseness?
The falseness is evident. You don’t have to be an experienced editor to define a false text. But the problem is not that the text is false. The problem is that the author does not understand it. And the customer who pays for the article does not understand it either. As a result, the text appears, which does not sell, but on the contrary defames the company in the public eyes.
There is no doubt, that the author of the text is a good person, very sensible, loving and honest. But his job is to sell a product or service on behalf of another person or company. It creates the effect of a mask – when a person’s face is hidden, he can afford much more, because he won’t feel shame for that.
This can often be seen in copywriters: they can be absolutely ordinary people but when it comes to advertising, they overdo with the customary script. They start using unnatural expressions full of hypocrisy.
Signs of falseness
We tried to systematize the signs of falseness in the text.
There is nothing wrong with selling itself: we feel ok in the online store or when we see ads on TV, even the most stupid ones.
But it becomes the opposite when people try to cheat us by giving good advice for sale. As if the author says: “I’m smarter than you and now I’ll cheat you and do a hidden sale”. It’s actually not very pleasant to deal with someone who thinks that you’re a fool.
Signs of hidden sale:
- It is unclear that there is advertising, this is not written anywhere.
- Promotional material is “packed” as advice, useful article, review or opinion. But if the author seeks to show an item from all the sides in the review, in a hidden sale he shows only those that can cause a desire to buy.
- The product or its benefits are introduced by the words “by the way”, “incidentally”, “and yet” – these words emphasize that the sale takes place among other things, it is not the main task of the text. Although it is obvious that it is.
Fixation on money
The low price has never been a reason to buy something. People buy products and services because they will benefit from it. If something costs $250, but you do not need it, you won’t buy it even if it costs $100. Therefore, the low price itself is useless. Morbid fixation on price shows that the author has nothing more to say.
Especially alarming statements are like these:
Yes, you’ll spend $300 on our course. But you will return the money from your very first order, and then you will make MILLIONS!
The author tries to emphasize the sense of prudence. There is nothing wrong, it is a normal method of selling. But such a hysterical manner creates a sense of pressure. The seller tries to convince you that you can lose a huge sum of money. But you won’t. The money is still in your purse.
In Infobusiness everyone emphasizes the same points: you’ll be successful, you’ll earn a lot of money, you’ll buy an expensive car, yacht, private jet and will be happy.
This is hooks for poor neurotics. Neurotics want to show off the outward signs of success and to become a favorite through it. But those who have passed this way know that it won’t happen. And the authors either do not know (and therefore can not teach) it, or they are just trying to play on the errors of fools. And when the reader is treated like a fool, he takes his money and leaves.
When the seller guarantees a perfect result or immediate effect, the reader strains.
Earn Money Online without investment, with guaranteed result and return to 1000%!
Removal of the most difficult stains without a trace, with the first application.
With our course, you will GUARANTEED learn how to attract customers of your dream with the projects cost up to $30 million! By the end of the course you will have your first customer!
We do not believe, because it does not look realistic. Such promises should either be proved or not be given at all.
The method of artificial deficiency itself is not bad – you have a limited number of places on the course, a limited amount of stock on hand. It is natural and understandable.
But it becomes bad when doing it a basic element of the sale:
Buy this stuff right now, because timer is ticking!
Book Now! Quantity of goods is limited!
An exclamation mark is a strong and dangerous tool. Too many exclamation marks are a sign of hysteria. If you are selling a course on how to build a business, try not to scream.
The image of a cheater
Each of these features is separately not so bad. But they always appear together and create an image of the seller, who believes that the buyer is a fool. But no one thinks that the buyer also sees this dismissive attitude. A sense of impunity lets the seller down.
How it often happens: a young writer comes to copywriting courses, and they’re an extremely experienced infobusinessman who teaches him to “crush on the client, crush on his weaknesses”. The writer leaves the course with a sense that his clients are the stupid herd. The most interesting is that he is right.
There are people who do not feel falseness. Either they have no experience, or they are on the Internet for the first time, or they are so desperate that they will go anywhere – but these are people with a completely different mindset. One thing is when you’re selling fake pills for fat burning. It is clear that you need light-minded people. But if it is a course on the design, you need really clever people.
When you create false advertising, you create a natural barrier:
- People who are disgusted with your hypocrisy will leave you. Perhaps they are your best customers.
- People who are insensitive to hypocrisy will remain. But you have some idea what kind of customers they are.
If you are striving for good, progress and benefit to the world, falseness only prevents all this. You and your customers deserve something better.
How to avoid falseness
There are seven rules which help to get rid of falseness and win the trust of the customers via text.
- Honesty is the best strategy. If you make an advertisement, show that it is an advertisement. Do not try to disguise it as something else.
- Any phrase in an advertisement should emphasize the benefit to the client.
- Do not fixate on the money. If your product is really so good, people will buy it for the price twice as much.
- Prove all that you say with facts.
- Let the reader draw conclusions. Do not say that you’re the best – tell your customers about your achievements.
- Do not try to sell to everybody. Highlight people interested in your product and make advertising for them.
- Do not set a goal to earn money. People will not pay you because you want it. Instead of making money, try to improve the world and help people. Be helpful. This is the only reason why people would pay you.